Sunday, October 17, 2010

Teaching David Parsha; Ora Crawls

David loves to hear parsha stories. Whenever he learns about a new biblical personality he always asks if that individual is still alive. (He also frequently asks if personalities from different generations knew each other.)
Recently I was telling him a Noah story and he was puzzled how someone who was described to him last year as being dead is now suddenly alive again.
* * *
One thing I like about David's talmud torah is that he learns only the peshat of the parsha, at least as far as I can tell from the parsha sheet he brought home. I can't tell you how much of a pleasure it was not to have to see questions about that silly story of Avraham smashing his father's idols this past Friday night. Nonetheless, that story remains one of his favorite and he wouldn't let me tell him any other story at bedtime. (Just for the record, I didn't mean to denigrate the Midrash here. I just think it's a silly story to teach little kids.)
* * *
From a few hip thrusts three weeks ago, Ora is now crawling all over the apartment. We are very excited, but we have to baby proof the apartment again. It is much harder this time around because we have a lot more garbage lying around (and much less time to clean it up) as well a newly-turned-six-year-old who needs to learn to clean up after himself better.
Last week I was working from home and no matter how many times the babysitter picked her up and brought her back to the living room, Ora kept on crawling into the kitchen/office to smile at me.

1 comment:

tesyaa said...

Recently I was telling him a Noah story and he was puzzled how someone who was described to him last year as being dead is now suddenly alive again.

LOL. It reminds me of an old joke in which a man marries a sweet young woman who has no education. He tells her the parsha stories and she cries in sympathy. She's very moved. The next year rolls around and again he teachers her parsha. This year, instead of crying about Mechiras Yosef, she laughs and is generally unsympathetic. Her husband is upset and asks about her change in attitude. Her response: "Last year I felt bad for him, but he should have known better than to let that happen again!"